US Ex-Im Bank has held the first meeting of its 2003 sub-Saharan Africa Advisory Committee (SAAC). Four new members were added to the 10-member committee for 2003:
- Anita Henri, vice-president and general counsel, Corporate Council on
- Africa, Washington, DC representing commerce
- Jonathan Cook, director of credit operations, Abro Industries Inc, South Bend, Indiana representing small business
- Bunmi Olugbekan, product manager, United Bank for Africa, New York representing banking/trade finance
- Jack Webb, chairman and president, Jack M Webb & Associates, Houston, Texas representing commerce
The SAAC members provide expert guidance to Ex-Im for use in developing policies to further strengthen its support of US exports to Africa.Timothy Wright, partner and attorney at law at Burris, Wright, Slaughter and Tom, LLC, Chicago, IL, is chairing the 2003 committee.
In calendar year 2002, Ex-Im supported 127 transactions in 18 sub-Saharan African countries for a total of US$475mn in authorisations a substantial increase in dollar value over the previous year.
The SAAC represents various sectors of the US economy that have experience doing business in Africa.